make the switch to mineral for safer sunning
We get asked a lot why we use mineral-based ingredients in Project Sunscreen. While there are many reasons, the short answer is that it is just better – for you, for your children, and for the environment.
Project Sunscreen is formulated from 100% active mineral ingredients, including naturally derived zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Together, these ingredients protect from the sun’s harsh rays.
The pros, when it comes to mineral sunscreens:
- Mineral-based sunscreens are generally a better choice for your skin. Our co-founder, Dr. Ashley Magovern, puts it this way, “Not only do the mineral properties protect our skin from the sun, but they’re also moisturizing, gentler, and good for the health of the skin. The ingredients naturally found in zinc oxide and titanium dioxide work to strengthen the skin barrier and to combat the damage and inflammation we get from the sun.”
- Mineral sunscreens are also generally better tolerated by sensitive skin, since they are not absorbed in the skin. Instead, mineral sunscreens act as a reflective barrier on the skin and are more efficient – naturally and more immediately by providing the broadest range of UVA/UVB protection.
- Mineral sunscreens that contain antioxidants work to protect us from HEV (High Energy Visible) Light, or “Blue Light.” While this kind of light doesn't cause a burn, like the sun can, HEV Light can be just as harmful as UVA/UVB light (although more studies need to be done) and penetrate deep into the skin, breaking down the skin’s properties. This can lead to sunspots, melasma, and premature aging. The filters in chemical-based sunscreens do not filter HEV Light. Since we are more exposed than ever before to this band of light because of our devices – especially these days! – so we need to include this care in our everyday routines.
One myth about mineral sunscreen is that it creates a white cast on the skin or that it’s thick and goopy and doesn't rub in easily. You will see a sheen on the skin where Project Sunscreen applied, so you know you’re protected! We recommend three easy steps to make sure you’re covered:
- Shake the bottle – Our active ingredients are naturally occurring minerals and need a good shake to properly blend into the rest of the formula before application.
- Roll it on – 60 seconds or less to apply!
- Rub it in - Depending on your skin tone, it might take a little more massaging into the skin. If a white or chalky layer is still noticeable, keep rubbing to better distribute it.
Project Sunscreen is lightweight, so it rubs in clean.
One last quick tip! To ensure proper protection, and (even more!) ease-of-use, mineral sunscreen rubs into properly hydrated– not wet - skin more easily. This also helps avoid the dreaded “white cast” that can sometimes be caused by the naturally derived minerals. Keep your skin moisturized daily and your sunscreen will be easier to apply. Once applied, Project Sunscreen will keep hydrating your skin, while protecting it from the harsh rays of the sun.